News: Welcome to Project RP! A collaborative writing project based here on this very forum.

Project RP

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 01, 2022, 12:43:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Sign of Things to Come...  (Read 5959 times)
Danny
Administrator
Exhalted Member

The Gentleman Bastard

View Profile WWW
« on: March 17, 2015, 06:34:14 PM »

(OoC: Welcome to the Destiny RP! We begin at the Tower, where our Guardians are resting, just coming home, or about to set out on another adventure. Introduce them.)

In the setting sun, on the balcony overlooking the Traveler and the last city, a pair of Guardians relaxed by leaning against its rails. Fresh from an engagement some place far from there, the couple discussed with heart their exploits.

"I think that was the most in sync we've ever been," Red commented.

Poppy leaned over the rail, her hands clasped, "Considering what happened last time, yeah. Those Fallen had no idea what hit'em."

Then, their Ghost appeared before them. It had a default casing, but was purple with a golden ring around it's blinking eye. It hovered out over the railing to address her Guardians, "I'm registering a thirty-two point five percent combat efficiency increase. Well done you two, the Vanguard will be pleased with these results."   

Meanwhile, another pair of Guardian's stood further back in the shadow of the tower, discussing business by Xander 99-40.

"We settled on three ascendant materials, Tala," Loch said, attempting to intimidate in fear of the Warlock trying to back out of the deal. Again.

"Yep, we did," Tala said, scratching the back of her head while looking around nervously. Unfortunately, she didn't have a single material to pay the Titan in front of her.

Loch folded his arms, "I got your book. You know what I had to go through to get it, otherwise you would have gone yourself."

After thinking for a moment, Tala came up with a compromise, "Ok, look, I can't pay you back right now, so how about this: next time you need an ally, bring me along on one of your missions. Free of charge!"

"I could order you to do that," he replied, plainly.

Tala looked back at him, nervously, as her mind raced to think of an alternative.

Loch chuckled and tossed her the book, she catching it but fumbling with it first. "Deal. Next time I know something needs to be set on fire, I'll bring you along,"

"Yes!" She cheered, cradling the book close to her chest, "You know, I was actually close to getting this. I coordinated the records from the library on-"

"Yeah, yeah, save it," Loch groaned, waving her off, not at all interested in hearing the girl's excuses or equally boring method of locating a dirty old book, "Next time, send your own Titan to do your work for you."

Tala gave Loch a snide glare while saluting. 
Indi
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 02:53:11 AM »

"Send the full statistics to my ghost and I'll put it in my report," said Natalie, with a satisfied smile. This was the first fireteam the Hunter had been given the opportunity to coach and they were doing better than expected. A pair of Titan recruits, a third Titan: an exo veteran that had suffered head trauma but seemed ready to fight again, and a moderately experienced warlock who was more of an aide than a student.
"Now," said the Hunter, "I think it's time to take off some of the training wheels and after last mission you deserve a reward anyway. Let's go pick out some ships for you."
"But I already have a ship," chirped the exo.
"Yes Juno," Natalie replied, "Just these two. I'll get you and Sophie something else later. Where is she anyway."
"She said she was going on ahead to watch the ships land." The exo replied.
"We should run into her then." Just as she spoke, Natalie spotted the young warlock.

"This is not a good idea," grumbled Sophie's ghost, as the warlock hopped over a railing.
"I saw someone out there earlier, and I bet the view's amazing."
"You'll fall."
"So?"
"I find it distressing when you die. Don't you?"
"I'm used to it." She walked carefully out onto the docking arm.
"Hey, get off of there!" someone shouted.
Sophie flinched and lost her balance, slipping off of the metal beam and falling out of sight. A moment later she rematerialized back on the safe side of the rail.
"Satisfied?" huffed the ghost.
"Yes actually," said Sophie, "The view was spectacular."

Specs
Administrator
Exhalted Member

Infinite Hunger for Knowlege

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 08:22:22 PM »

"Crowded today" commented Prince Eugen as his Guardian Faust pulled into the docking bay of the Tower.

"Doesn't seem any more crowded than usual, and it's probably a good thing that it's a bit crowded anyway.  Hopefully means a lot of Guardians got home from successful missions or are heading out" said Faust as his finished docking his battered red Arcadia Jumpship.

"Right, and remind me why was it so important to nearly get us killed and to sidetrack the mission for that book you have in your bag?" asked the Ghost not attempting to hide his sarcasm and displeasure.

"It is a book about the Golden Age, and it wasn't that bad" defended Faust.

"No it's just a book about the migration habit of birds that happened to live during the Golden Age.  Not really worth dying for, multiple times and putting the mission in jeopardy for...again Faust.  Hey don't pull it out and flip through it while I am talking to you".   The ghost floated in front of the pages of the book the warlock found.       

"I can multitask you know and I find the book interesting so it was worth it.  Every new piece of information is worth it".    Faust opened the cockpit door and climbed down the ladder to the floor of the ladder.     He found himself a crate and began thumbing through the book again.

Kalahira, mistress of inscrutable depths, I ask forgiveness.
Kalahira, whose waves wear down stone and sand—
Kalahira, wash the sins from this one,
And set him on the distant shore of the infinite spirit.
Kalahira, this one’s heart is pure,
But beset by wickedness and contention.
Guide this one to where the traveler never tires,
The lover never leaves, the hungry never starve.
Guide this one, Kalahira,
And he will be a companion to you as he was to me.

"All life dies, all worlds too, and if there is guarenteed perpetual existence, after that - what does it matter how the end comes?" - Gravemind
Danny
Administrator
Exhalted Member

The Gentleman Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 12:38:04 PM »

"Yes! A ship, I'm ready for one of those," Red cheered, immediately heading toward the hangar.

Poppy followed, but her tone was a cautious one, "Yeah... who's going to be flying this ship?"

"Me, mostly," their Ghost said, "But I'll teach you both a thing or two."

"I want one with rocket pods," Red said as he disappeared around a corner.

"No, you want one that will fit the both of us!" Poppy yelled, running after.

Wasn't long before the pair were standing in front of the Shipwright.

"Evening, young Guardians," she said, turning to greet them. "Oh, I recognize you," she gestured to Red, "More window shopping today?"

"No ma'am, not today."

A brief discussion later, Holliday presented them with a ship.

"This is something I've been working on. Phaeton-class. Sacrifices some bang for comfort. Will easily fit you both inside, plus your gear."

Red gave the ship a very brief overlook before turning back to her, "Rocket pods?"

Holliday looked at him, "Radar dish?"

"We'll take it," Poppy said.

By this time, Tala had aimlessly wondered into the hanger as she flicked through her book. She didn't even know what it was about. It was in a text not yet translated by the cryptarchs, but it was known to be of ancient human origin.

She bumped into a railing, an embarrassingly closed the book and looked around in case anyone saw her. No one, but looking over the railing, she noticed another Warlock on the hangar floor, also enthralled by a book. She tried and failed to get an angle to peek, so instead she decided to join him. She leaped over the railing and glided down beside the Warlock perched upon a crate.

"Afternoon," she greeted, "Whatcha got there?"
Indi
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 02:40:31 PM »

"Hey look, I'm not the only one that ignores railings," Sophie said to her ghost. She had followed her group to the hangar and was leaning on some crates near the Dead Orbit representative while the rest talked with the shipwright.

"How much?" asked Natalie, "I'm paying."

Specs
Administrator
Exhalted Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 04:13:06 AM »

Faust stopped reading his book to look at the voice who had called out to him.  "Ah yes Good Afternoon" greeted Faust.
"What this?  Just a book that I believe is from the Golden Age" said Faust.  He shut the book. 

"What he fails to mention it is just about the migration habits of a now extinct bird during the Golden Age and how he died trying to get it" chirped his Ghost.

"All life dies, all worlds too, and if there is guarenteed perpetual existence, after that - what does it matter how the end comes?" - Gravemind
Danny
Administrator
Exhalted Member

The Gentleman Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 01:09:08 AM »

"This baby's going to set you back seven-thousand. Steep price, but a lot of work went into this one."

Poppy looked over at Natalie, "That's too much. If Red and I pool our glimmer together, we should be able to afford it."

"Hey, if we're to build off our past, we must first understand it," Tala said, then bringing forth the book she (or, her muscle) had just recently recovered, "Speaking of understanding..." She handed the book to Faust. Most of the extremely thick book was tattered, but what was extremely curious was the language it was written in. Instead of written text, there were bumps and indents. "What do you make of this?"

What was written in text, was the last part of the title, which was english and read: '...Ring'
BEB0P
Global Moderator
Exhalted Member

Kiss your fist and touch the sky.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 05:43:17 AM »

"She's still hardly ship-shape, but she can break orbit if you're dainty about it."

Ren shrugged. The hanger worker was right about the jumpship. In the seven months he'd been in the service of the tower, he'd been putting off repairing the very ship that brought him from Mars. Nonetheless, change seemed to be the new theme. He looked to his Ghost, Pendleton.

"Yeah, we absolutely do not have the glimmer, mate." It replied. "Well, not unless you want to put off your date in the City with--"

"Yeah, yeah, I get it." He sighed, waving off his Ghost. He crossed his arms, and stared at the ground, trying to mentally budget his Glimmer. He looked back up in time to notice Holliday making a transaction with a female Hunter, and not far from them was Tala. He smiled, watching her converse with another Warlock.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 09:21:06 AM by SamuraiBebop » Logged

Indi
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 06:10:15 PM »

Natalie raised her eyebrows at the price, but she had made up her mind. "No, no, I've got this. I don't have anything I'm saving for, nothing I need glimmer for at least." She went ahead with the transaction. "You guys want to go down and look at it up close?"

Specs
Administrator
Exhalted Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 03:34:41 AM »

Faust chuckled at her agreement that it wasn't a useless find.  "Finally someone agrees with me that this wasn't a totally useless find" said the warlock with a smile.    

Faust happily took the book and began looking through it.  His hands running across the indents and the bumps on the pages.  He sighed besides the word ring he couldn't make much out of this book.   "I'm afraid I probably can't tell you anything you don't already know.    It is some book about a Ring, written in another language that I don't know.  Maybe a long forgotten language from the Golden Age if I wanted to get romantic about it or if I was selling it.  Most people probably wouldn't know better, and I have probably bought a few books that were nothing but gibberish because of it" said Faust handing the book back to the other Warlock.    

Danny
Administrator
Exhalted Member

The Gentleman Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 03:15:21 PM »

There's a reason why Guardian ships don't exit warp in atmosphere over the City. The sound is eerily similar to that of a Fallen Skiff exiting cloak. Keen ears and quick eyes can easily determine the difference, but veterans of the Gap and anti-air defenses are trained on the sound.

When that near-unmistakable sound echoed through the mountains, Loch's gaze turned skyward. He jogged out into the open, as did a few others, to check the skies. For a moment there was nothing, but dropping from the clouds soon came a Guardian's ship. It's flight pattern was erratic as it lost and gained altitude, and struggled to maintain speed. Loch only had to observe it for a short time before realizing its trajectory.  

He sprinted for the hangar.

"I would like to take a look," Red and Poppy's Ghost said, "Give me a chance to familiarize with its systems."

Admittedly, Tala wasn't paying attention to most of what Faust said. She caught glimpse of Ren smiling at her across the way. She smiled back, but then focused when the book was handed back to her. "Yeah... it's a tricky one. I think it might be military, the code." She then saw a group of Guardians arrive on the floor, off to inspect a ship, or maybe to talk to Ren.

"I'm Tala, by the way."

"She's beautiful," Poppy commented as she ran her hand along their new ships hull. She and Red had just become responsible for a silver Phaeton-Class V3.2 Dual Jumpship. The Phaeton's are most recognized by their narrow nose and overall slimness. This particular model however, had it's nose shortened, fuselage widened and propped on top was a surveillance, search and early warning radar dish.

"We won't be doing much dogfighting in this thing, will we?" Red asked, following behind the smitten Poppy.

"none at all if I have my way," she replied, "I don't want a single scratch on a beautiful thing like this."

"What about gun runs? I was talking to a guy-"

For those whose gaze happened to be directed outside the hangar, they would have caught a glimpse of a Regulus-class ship enter at extraordinary speed. After the crash, it would be near impossible to identify what kind of ship it was. For those not looking that way, the last thing they would have heard for the explosion was the screech of a dying engine.

The ship barely entered the hangar and collided with the wall, splitting the ship in two and raining down debris. What was left of the fuselage had bounced off the wall and collided with the floor, rolling until it slid to a stop.

All who had taken cover emerged to observe the scene. The crashed ship and one that had been docked for repairs was now in flames.

Workers and Frames rushed to extinguish the fires.

By some miracle, or Ghost resurrection, it appeared the pilot had survived. A hand rose from the wreckage and grasped desperately at what it could. The pilot was trapped inside.

Bystanders a certain angles would have been able to distinguish the pilot as a white plated female exo, and her attire suggesting she was a Hunter.

Tala emerged from behind her crate, cradling her book protectively. She saw the pilot, but not wanting to abandon or risk damaging her find, she yelled, "Someone get her out of there!"

« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 06:07:28 PM by Danny » Logged
BEB0P
Global Moderator
Exhalted Member

Kiss your fist and touch the sky.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 11:15:20 PM »

Renato groaned. When he saw the incoming jumpship, it was almost too late to get out of harm's way. Acting quickly, he managed to save himself as well as the hanger worker whom he was conversing with. "Pendleton?" He called.

"You're alright, Ren!" It replied, manifesting back into corporeal form. The Ghost's Bristol accent was a godsend of relief. "You're not dead. Scuffed up, aye, but no, you're not dead."

Renato helped the hanger worker back to their feet, then raced for the crashed ship. He shoved frames and onlookers out of the way and began helping a pair of frames lift a large chunk of corrugated metal off of the wounded Exo. He'd nearly forgotten that he wasn't wearing his armour and took care to avoid any flames while he lifted the Guardian out of the wreck and dragged her to safety. "I need a paramedic!" He barked. "Or... A ah... A mechanic."

Pendleton hovered back to Renato, and looked around, seemingly worried. "I don't see a Ghost anywhere..." It mentioned as it met Renato at eye-level. "There should be a Ghost, Ren." It's voice was worried; Almost desperate-sounding.

Renato was still breathing heavily; Exos certainly weren't light. He nodded, agreeing with his Ghost, and scanned the wreckage from his kneeling position over the crash victim, trying to spot it.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 09:22:38 AM by SamuraiBebop » Logged

Danny
Administrator
Exhalted Member

The Gentleman Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2015, 12:08:56 AM »

"We gotta help!" Red called, taking only a few steps before being stopped by Poppy.

"Nothing we can do now, let the medics handle this."

Before any medical personnel could arrive, Loch stomped onto the scene. He blew through the group and ran for Ren and the exo. "Get away from him!" Loch demanded, not recognizing the man assisting the exo.

He crouched down, rolling the exo onto their back as it babbled nonsense. He discovered 'he' was in fact a 'she', and 'she' was certainly going to die. Significant chest trauma, burns and 'blood' loss, as evident from the trail from the crash.

Loch looked down upon the exo as it stared upward, her eyes blinking and flickering in a chaotic fashion. Before they lost her, he needed to get as much information out of her as possible.

"Where did you come from?" Loch asked, "What happened?" He attempted to keep his tone as calm as possible.

The exo coughed and groaned. She was slipping, and fast.

"Speak to me, now," Loch said, moving closer to her, and altering his tone to a more urgent and demanding one, "Tell me; what did this to you?"

The exo suddenly turned her head and focused directly on Loch. He felt uneasy, as it seemed she was staring directly into his eyes.

"Arog..."

Loch leaned closer still, "What?"

Then, the girl screamed with every ounce of strength she had left, "AROG TOOK HIM."

Loch flinched, but at that time, the medics had arrived and began prepping her for transport.

She was taken away in a hurry, leaving Ren and Loch kneeling in front of a pool of 'blood'.

Loch remained on his knees as the Guardian group surrounded them, eager for answers. Tala had arrived to, taking Ren's side in case of injury.

"Ghost," Loch summoned, after a moment of thought. His companion immediately appeared over his shoulder. "Scan the ship, find out where exactly she came from." The Ghost complied and hovered for the now smoking wreck.

"Arog, the Lacerater..." He said aloud, seemingly to himself, but it was for the group around him to hear. He stood, and looked around him. Ren, Tala, another Warlock and the Hunter and her team.

The Ghost returned, "You suspicions were correct," it said, "She came from the moon, without her Ghost."

Loch nodded, slowly, in solidarity for the Ghost-stricken exo.

"There's something else,"

Loch turned to listen.

"She hasn't returned to the tower for three years. Nor has she checked into any Guardian outpost."

Loch's head lifted, his curiosity now peaked. There was a brief pause before his next instruction. "Alert the Vanguard; I'm requesting a strike on Arog, the Lacerater's lair."

He then turned to address the group in front of him, "Guardians. Who's up for a trip into the Hellmouth?"

(OoC: Feel free to continue posting in this thread relating to these events. Our first strike thread will soon be up, feel free to participate with any/all your Guardians.)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 12:13:13 AM by Danny » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: