News: "Enjoying yourselves, intruders?"

Project RP

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 01, 2022, 01:20:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Managing Threads  (Read 24912 times)
Specs
Administrator
Exhalted Member

Infinite Hunger for Knowlege

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 03:22:42 AM »

Indi does have a point in we shouldn't restrict people from wanting to RP what they want to RP, however the point Danny makes we are too small and fickle of a bunch to be spread out so much.    

I think if we really want to solve this problem of other RP's failing, then we have to fix all of the  

(And of course I am guilty as those as well, I think the main reason threads have failed is I have been running them D:)

1) Everyone should have an idea of the plot going in, I am not saying tell everyone everything but a general run down on what will be happening will be sufficient.   So people should have an idea what their character is suppose to be doing and stuff.  Sometimes I feel like myself or others are lost and unsure how to proceed.  At the very least the plot of the current thread if you don't want to spoil everything.

2) We give up on them too easily, the old Star Wars RP is quite salvageable.     Infinitus can be if we want, I am sorry I let the ball drop on that one.   ^////^.    If we allow more time for posting, and someone has the desire to keep things going then it will be fine.  

3) Better planning of said threads, I feel like if we have the  entire plots instead of a few threads of a time then they will have a higher success rate.    While running things one or two thread can work (sort of the only instance I know of is Ad Infinitum and well look at the large lapses of activity there.  The threads were great and long).      

4) Can't have the plots dependent too heavily on certain people, we are a small community people are going to get inactive and be busy with things, if we want RP's to survive we need to work around this, and be willing to leave someone behind to keep the plot moving for everyone else.

5)  Cooperation (sort of goes with with everyone knowing what is going on).  Everyone in the thread needs to work and interact with one another.       It isn't just one or two people's show.  As well the plots need to account for everyone.   We only have so many people, shouldn't be too hard.

6) Be willing to experiment with other systems of RP then just our current freeform system. 

Eh that is all I got.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 03:24:19 AM by Gravemind » Logged

Kalahira, mistress of inscrutable depths, I ask forgiveness.
Kalahira, whose waves wear down stone and sand—
Kalahira, wash the sins from this one,
And set him on the distant shore of the infinite spirit.
Kalahira, this one’s heart is pure,
But beset by wickedness and contention.
Guide this one to where the traveler never tires,
The lover never leaves, the hungry never starve.
Guide this one, Kalahira,
And he will be a companion to you as he was to me.

"All life dies, all worlds too, and if there is guarenteed perpetual existence, after that - what does it matter how the end comes?" - Gravemind
Indi
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 03:24:31 AM »

Star Wars only won by one. Tongue

Danny
Administrator
Exhalted Member

The Gentleman Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 03:29:14 AM »

Agreed on all those points. So long as all those things are handled we shouldn't have a problem.

I'm going to stick by my idea though, but if we can achieve all those things we'll be successful in running several major stories.  
Specs
Administrator
Exhalted Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 03:30:49 AM »

Aha thanks for making me realize another point Indi ^^

7) We don't need everyone to partake in every RP thread.   I think that is the beauty of the Nation RP.      That you don't have to depend on the group to be on the same page, you just need the other person on the same page Tongue

"All life dies, all worlds too, and if there is guarenteed perpetual existence, after that - what does it matter how the end comes?" - Gravemind
Danny
Administrator
Exhalted Member

The Gentleman Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 03:41:57 AM »

The Star Wars thread is ready for launch and I'm trying to get Indi to take Mass Effect. Once she's got that and planned it we should be able to have both running at once.
Specs
Administrator
Exhalted Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2012, 03:52:16 AM »

I am sure both will do fine, as long as we all do our part and contribute.     ^^

Indi
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2012, 04:44:37 AM »

Something I want to add.
Some of our most successful RPs go back to ad Infinitum actually. The ones where we were running exactly parallel to the actual Halo game. Everything went smooth and we posted very consistently and regularly.
Why? I think mainly because we all had a good idea on where we were and the timeline in which we were working. We had our own little plot, we didn't always know exactly what was going to happen, but we had a general idea of the surrounding events and the setting and pace were solid.
If we could replicate that it could help. (Though we did try that with the Heresy thread, and it went quiet anyway, but it was probably my fault. Tongue )

Danny
Administrator
Exhalted Member

The Gentleman Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2012, 04:52:01 AM »

All the ad infinitum threads worked perfectly because, like you said, we had Halo as a guideline. We didn't have to worry about getting writers block back then because we knew exactly what would happen next. Now we're running an original story and that requires planning, like all original plots do.

And if you look at all our threads that are stalled, you'll see they're all original.

Following a path laid out for us would help, but we've done them all a dozen times. Tongue
Specs
Administrator
Exhalted Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2012, 04:56:51 AM »

I only recall You, Danny, and myself (maybe Sev towards the end) were here for Stigma's reign on Ad Infinitum though.   And ad Infinitum itself, same thing.

But Danny mentioned start RPing Halo from the beginning, why not do that?   Though my only concern is it would end up killing the current Halo RP Sad.      If we would rather RP everything from the beginning then continue our current Halo story then fine by me.  

Could the two coexist? Maybe but I just feel like we would have to choose one over the other or it will be a mess.

If we want to restart we should do it soon, so we are caught up by the time Halo 4 is released this year.    

Danny
Administrator
Exhalted Member

The Gentleman Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2012, 04:59:56 AM »

If we want to restart we should do it soon, so we are caught up by the time Halo 4 is released this year.   

Actually, I'd rather Halo 4 come out before we start the reboot, so I'll be hyped to start from the beginning and work our way up. Tongue

Although, start from the insurrection would be cool.
Specs
Administrator
Exhalted Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2012, 05:02:55 AM »

Actually, I'd rather Halo 4 come out before we start the reboot, so I'll be hyped to start from the beginning and work our way up. Tongue

We could go even earlier Wink

Danny
Administrator
Exhalted Member

The Gentleman Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2012, 05:15:37 AM »

All the way back to the Forerunner-Human war, you're suggesting?
Indi
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2012, 05:16:36 AM »

Having the plot to follow is not what I meant. We did have our own plot, and there were surprises as we followed it, but it ran parallel to the game plot. The game plot gave a sense of timing and setting that I think we could do on our own somehow.
Our current threads have the RPG "there's no rush because nothing actually starts without me, no matter how much they tell me to hurry" feeling. Time gets suspended and we forget about it. Our characters even forget about it, they just keep chugging along through one sequence of events to another with hardly a sense of day or night (admittedly we're in space most of the time, so there is no day and night). But a better sense of time would help.
Just not sure how to go about it. Tongue

Specs
Administrator
Exhalted Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2012, 05:22:54 AM »

Having the plot to follow is not what I meant. We did have our own plot, and there were surprises as we followed it, but it ran parallel to the game plot. The game plot gave a sense of timing and setting that I think we could do on our own somehow.
Our current threads have the RPG "there's no rush because nothing actually starts without me, no matter how much they tell me to hurry" feeling. Time gets suspended and we forget about it. Our characters even forget about it, they just keep chugging along through one sequence of events to another with hardly a sense of day or night (admittedly we're in space most of the time, so there is no day and night). But a better sense of time would help.
Just not sure how to go about it. Tongue

Oh I get what you are trying to say, we are moving too fast and not giving time for our characters to mingle and relax? As well as getting over fatigue and stuff?   Anyway yeah I think I get what your trying to say '^^

All the way back to the Forerunner-Human war, you're suggesting?

Precisely

Danny
Administrator
Exhalted Member

The Gentleman Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2012, 05:28:22 AM »

Having the plot to follow did help, though. But running parallel did create a sense of 'difference' in it, which was very exciting.

Yeah, per Specs, do you mean we need more 'chill' threads?

Precisely

That might be pushing it. Tongue
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: